Thursday, May 27, 2010

Law Clinic

Today, our Communication class got more than we bargained for. We were told to meet at 8:30am so that we could go together to observe graduates as they counseled clients at the school clinic. The vast majority of clients that come to the clinic, according to the Wits students, are black and indigent (which is why they come to get free legal advice).

I came prepared with paper and pen to take notes on verbal and nonverbal communication. As I was walking through the door of the clinic, we were told that we would actually be the ones interviewing the clients.

Seeing as I have the most elementary knowledge of US law, and none whatsoever of South African law, I really wasn't in a position to assist clients. Nevertheless, a classmate and I sat down with three different women individually to discuss their property issues including eviction and title deed transfer.

It was fun! I didn't realize how much I would enjoy having face-to-face contact with clients. And they each certainly had some wild situations going on. The supervising attorney was awesome; she was smart, quick on her feet, and direct when we brought her clients' muddled facts and stories. I hope to be that fantastic someday.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Wow ewe certainly are in the middle of a wild adventure... =)