Thursday, August 21, 2008

Love Languages!

It's funny how real-life experiences are just as necessary as text-book lessons. Like when I had my forehead bruised as a child by a falling apple while picking fruit at my grandfather's house - and then later I learned about the theory of gravity in school. It made sense.

Likewise, I had already guessed that people respond in a special way to their mother tongue. Yesterday evening confirmed my sneaking suspicion.

Last night, I was sitting at the kitchen counter as my new Austrian flatmate was going out.
"Auf Wiedersehen!" I called out.
She stopped and looked at me. "What did you say?"
"...Auf Wiedersehen." I repeated.
"Ah! I feel like I am at home." she smiled and pranced out the door.

I also remember being in Dublin last year, staying with my Turkish host. His friend taught me to say 'thank you' in Turkish, so I decided to put it to good use.
"I have something to say to you." I told my host.
"What is it?"
"T'shikular."
"That was beautiful!" He wrapped me in a big hug.

So of course it encourages me as I learn very slow, awkward French from my work neighbour - and also as I think before speaking with my Argentine roommate (who, btw, brought home a thick, 12-person chocolate cake on Tuesday night & coconut bread last night from the bakery).

No comments: