Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving with my Roots

Or at least pilgrims' roots.

We celebrated Thanksgiving last Saturday here in London. It was a handful of Americans and a majority of Brits around the traditional dinner table. We did some arts and crafts, notably, turkey hands - a staple for American children since pre-school (nursery). This was completely new for the Londoners, and they found great joy in transforming a mere hand tracing into an image of a turkey.

Another project (again borrowed from primary school classrooms) was to dress the part of either a pilgrim or a Native American. The British all insisted on making feathered headdresses to represent the native peoples. I found this quite a contrast since GB has historically been quite the champion of imperialism worldwide. I believe one of the Americans created and wore a pilgrim hat - someone had to represent the nation's founders.

We ate everything one could expect or hope for: turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. Yum.

And of course, no social event would be complete without me creating an awkward moment. We did the classic 'going around the table' saying what we were thankful for (no duplicates allowed). When it came to my turn I said:

"I am thankful that I could get away from LA...
...and that I get to go back soon."

You'd be surprised at how many crickets could chirp in that small pause of the elipse. After the second half of my sentence was finished, I heard relieved, audible, deep "Mmm"s from around the table. Glad that people are concerned about my loyalty to my hometown, or are at least eager to ship me back asap : )

Interestingly enough, last Thanksgiving weekend I visited Greece. This time, the Americans who flew in to celebrate with us in London are doing ministry work in Athens! A Grecian theme two years in a row...

No comments: