Sunday, June 6, 2010

Uganda

I spent my first full day in Kampala today. I love it so far!

I can't help but contrast it to Johannesburg, my last stop:
1. Rather than winter, it is perpetual summer here - no more sleeping with electric blankets and hot water bottles! Even at night I'm walking around in shorts.
2. It also feels like one of the safest places I've ever been. Whether or not that's true is yet to be determined...

Today, we walked around the city to find water, soap, and the courthouse where we will be reporting tomorrow morning! All missions accomplished.

I'm impressed by the Mandarin that is spoken here - I counted the number of times that "Ni hao" was yelled at me on the street: 4. I'm pleased to be a novelty. As my classmate said the last night we were out in Joburg, he's pretty sure that I'm "the only Chinese person within a 10 mile radius."

1 comment:

Angela said...

Please be safe love. 50 days till our reunion =)